Thursday, April 21, 2011

Start your engines!

      Like Timone, I want to put my hands in the air and say "it starts".  The war has begun, man v.s school.  It's kind of exciting actually, putting on war paint, wearing a loin cloth and doing all those cool fighting moves I've seen in action movies.  My kind of war.
       In my long-term plans for this war of getting educated, I had an epiphany; medical school.  I see no reason why not, and (almost sheepishly) liked the idea of earning a respectable salary.  A champion decision indeed.
        A few weeks ago in our stake conference, we were invited to pick a friend of ours, and to pray for them every night in hopes that they will find the gospel and accept it.  I chose my old guitar teacher, a short middle-aged southern man with a smokers cough, a mutilated left hand and a short fuse.  The guitar obeys him. His lessons were brutal, but that somehow made me love the man.  He's always stuck out in my memory as someone that I wanted to remember.  There is a lot more to the story, but basically, he needs the church.
      I have kept that commitment to pray for him nightly.  I really loved the guy.  Now, I feel like it's time to do something.  I need to find him and somehow, I have no idea where is lives now days, and I have no idea what to say.  Perhaps just start talking.  Golly heaven knows that I want him to feel something, I just hope that gets through.  And if not, then I did my best.  I'd be fine with that.
         All this sounds like a great adventure, right!  Medical school, an academic war, cyber-proselyting, now all we need is a villain and a western-style shoot out!   I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and give it all I got.

2 comments:

  1. Join forces with me and my school experiences and you'll have your villain and a shoot out alright! ;)

    That's a fantastic plan, praying for someone nightly. I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Spence! You have amazing dedication, smarts and stick-to-it-iveness. You. Rock.

    I also didn't know what a good writer you are! I was cracking up with this.

    ReplyDelete