Thursday, May 19, 2011

Isn't it about.....Time.

      The war goes well on the Idaho front; the previously mentioned battles in the last entry were fought and subdued. The blitz worked.  At the end of the battle, I had a moment to pause, thank heaven that I had succeeded, and realize that it couldn't get much harder than this.
      The Lord has blessed me with a friendly personality.  As a result I enjoy making a lot of friends up here, from talking to the person in front of me in line to meeting someone in the laundry room.  I have a few good friends/fellow soldiers in my harder classes with whom I study quite often.  I have learned to truly care for and love them.  It's been said that nothing makes brothers faster than blood and sweat.
       I watch my friends day to day, hear them talk about their lives and their worries.  There appears to be a reoccurring theme amongst them; a crisis of time management.  I hear their accounts of staying up way past midnight to finish a project or get a paper turned in on time.  I see them fall asleep in classes and yawning incessantly through the day.  My heart breaks for them.  Watching your comrades in arms succumb to the attrition of time is hard.
       I am doubly sorry for them, because upon some introspection, I realize that I do not share their problem; through either divine mercy on my behalf or luck of the draw, I never have to compromise my sleep nor (too much) of my free time in order to keep my head above water.  I go to bed at ten thirty and get up at seven.  I study in the Manwaring center or in the library.  I have never pulled an all-nighter in order to finish anatomy homework.  Am I grateful?  Without question.
     I wish I had some profound insight to provide regarding the expenditure and investment of time, especially in the context of college, but I none to give, save a thought or two earned by experience.  If they apply to you, then by all means use them;
         Never let a problem to be solved be more important than a person to be loved (a direct quote from President Monson).
         Even if it's late and things aren't all the way done, just go to bed.  To quote Jurassic Park "life finds a way".
         The two best tutors in life are hard work and discipline. 
         Find joy every day.
        When in doubt, just make out (Colby will like that one).
  Perhaps cliche, but if so, then they are cliche because their right.  Feel free to add your own bits of wisdom.  (And I'm kidding about the last one there- it's kind of the apartment motto right now that nobody acts upon).

1 comment:

  1. I don't get it either, Spence. I'm not a procrastinator, and I've never stayed up all night for an assignment. All I can say is, you can usually get everything done you need to in a day if you plan, pray and prioritize.

    ReplyDelete