Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fatigue

      The war between the semester and I is almost over; four more weeks.  Though it has been aggressive, it's now a familiar day-to-day skirmish to hold the line.  The enemy and I are very well acquainted by now.  We see each other at 7:45 every day, and tiredly say "well, ready to go at it again?"
      But there is one unforeseen problem; I'm getting tired.  It kind of feels like the mission again, knowing that tomorrow will be another tough day, and your initial burning desire to rock the labors ahead of you is something only remembered.  I know I have two tests and two papers due in several days, and up till now I have been consistently able to do well on them.  The problem now is I don't care.
     How do you counter this kind of fatigue-induced apathy?  Any ideas?  So far I've resorted to the very 'Spencer like enthusiasm' that you are all familiar with, the boyish energy that says "yahoo! This is the best day ever! Lets go rock n' sock em'!"  I'm sure you are all rolling your eyes and saying 'yep, that's Spencer'.  But hey, it works, and I think it's fun.
       Tomorrow yields another 15 hours of war.  (Sigh).

2 comments:

  1. You way is better then my "C's get degrees, I quit" attitude I started up just yesterday. I am so tired of working my butt off for a teacher that doesn't know the first thing about assessing and giving grades.
    Keep up the good work Spencer!! You really are amazing!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I did this last semester. I had a very very frustrating class with a ridiculous femi-nazi biased professor and far too many assignments than necessary, but I needed to pass. Plus a ton of other classes with a lot of work. I had to work in the library instead of at home, because there were too many distractions at home. I would work in the corner where it was obvious I needed to work so that people wouldn't come over to talk. I had a few of my favorite snacks, I pushed out the work, and then I rewarded myself once that was done. I also took one or two breaks (no more) that consisted of walking around, going to a music practice room and playing for about 20 minutes. I was often in the library until it closed (11 pm - I spent 6-7 hours in there on average), and I was sick of it. And for a while, each assignment I finished did not feel like an accomplishment or a dent in the load because there was still So Much Work left to do. I thought it would never end and that I would never feel relieved; I would never feel that satisfying exhilarating accomplishment of having work completed. Aaaand... I never really did feel that until the semester was over, but once I did feel it, I was finally able to step back and look at the semester in the big picture, take in what I learned (not just in schooling, but emotionally/spiritually/etc), and Move On. THAT was a great feeling!!
    Not much else to say, other than... you just have to keep going! It is NOT always fun, but just think of your degree and the things you are going to do after you graduate. Your goals in life. How great it will be to start taking more steps after this semester.

    Don't forget to reward yourself!!
    You can do it!

    Love from your cousin,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete