Thursday, July 7, 2011

When girls cry

    The lyrics come to mind "and IIIII'l be your crying shoulder...".  For one reason or another, over the past two weeks I have provided the crying shoulder for a surprising number of my female friends.  It's all from family issues to homework overload to roommate frustrations to just needing a moment to cry.
         Watching a girl cry is an awful thing; you can feel the bitter and sad and frightened emotions coursing through their bodies as you hold them gently and try to offer consolation.  I wish that I could get inside their heart for a minute and sooth their upset feelings.  The best I can do is hold them and breath gently, just willing some of their pain to go away. As much as I want to I cannot share with them wholly the serenity and collectedness that they so desperately need.
       It's somehow soothing to me to be able to comfort someone in tears.  It's almost as if I'm descending on their roller-coaster of emotion with them.  When they begin to calm down and dry their eyes, it's as if I am feeling the same relief they are.  I'll ask "are you okay?  It's all going to be okay.  Is there anything I can do to help?"
        I am grateful for my shift on the waaah-bulance these past two weeks.  I know how much I like it when someone can hear me out, and doing it for someone else is the next best thing.  I walk away from their apartment feeling more peaceful and calm and closer to the Spirit than I did before.

1 comment:

  1. Oh cousin Spencer, you are such a wonderful guy. I don't know what else to say, except that what you do... it means a lot to those girls out there. What a lovely way and strong example to uphold your priesthood by humbly and gently mourning with those that mourn, and comforting those in need of comfort.
    My only question, which you may or may not be able to answer is - do all nice guys think this way?? Is it safe to not assume that crying in front of a guy you are friends with/close to will only make them feel totally uncomfortable and awkwardly unsure what to do?
    I've never had the blessing of having someone there to offer their shoulder to cry on when I have most needed it. I'm so proud to call you my cousin, seeing/hearing all that you do.

    Love you cuz,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete